21 September 2011

Leaving Sri Lanka

It  has been wonderful and I will definitely be back here. Hopefully the next time I will be able to bird or take more cooking classes, snorkel or dive, but it has been a blast and I have enjoyed just about every minute of it! Sri Lankans are wonderfully nice and smile all of the time!

We should all smile more, it is good for the soul.  In this TED Talks, it talks about smiling and how good it is for you. I wonder if they have done studies on Sri Lankans and how much the smile... it would be interesting!

Now we are on to India and I am excited/anxious/nervous/apprehensive... just about all of the emotions you could feel about a place.  I am excited because it will be a wonderful place and I have heard how people simply fall in love with India.  I am nervous, anxious, apprehensive and many other emotions because I am meeting up with family I have not seen in many years. The last time I saw most of my family, I was 8 or 9.  Now I am 27 and visiting them as an adult.  Things have changed.  Its nerve wracking to meet people that you know and have met before but it has been so long.  Well, its nerve wracking to me, whether it should be or not.  I am excited though to see family, learn about my history, learn stories about my father that I have not heard, and a lot more!

I have also heard a lot about India and the crowds! I am not a big fan of crowds and having to push through crowds to get through places.  Even in Sri Lanka, I have a bit difficulty with the crowds but I have heard India is way more crowded... so we shall see.

As we say a final farewell to Sri Lanka, I want to make note that this country was not originally on my list of places to visit and I am sad to have said that.  It should be on everyone's list... it has it all! Beautiful scenery, picture-perfect beaches, wonderful and welcoming people, a rich culture, a hard past that still is being overcome and worked through, delicious food and lots to do!

Places we have stayed:
Dehiwala, outside of Colombo- Hornbill Holiday Homes
Kandy, couchsurfing- Benjamin Arumugam
Galle, south Sri Lanka- Mrs Wijenayake's Guest House
Mirissa, small beach town in the south- Amarasinghe Guest House
Outside of Tissa- Mihisara Lake View Guesthouse

All of these are places I would definitely recommend.  They are perfect for budget traveling and offer everything you need!

Now... on to INDIA!!!

No comments: