22 September 2010

Aragats!

I climbed Aragats! All the way to the top! Of the Southern Point anyway. Almost 4000 meters high. We started at the lake and that is about half way up there, I think. Haven't really been able to find info on it.

Another volunteer's NGO, the YIC, organized the trip. We started in Gyumri and then drove to the lake. It is a Youth Organization that is Awesome! They are a great group of people; full of energy and fun! It started early and we got there around 11:00. We ate a little snack, played a get-to-know-you game and then headed up. There were a couple of groups climbing that day, September 21st, which is also Armenian Independence Day! It was really cool, there was a Scout group that climbed as well.

We started the hike at 11:30 and stopped periodically to catch our breath, allow people to catch up, and take pictures of the view. It is kind of funny, I was NOT prepared for this hike at all. It was a last minute decision and I didnt really understand the concept of higher altitude= cooler weather. And I only had flip-flops with me, so the other volunteer allowed me to borrow a pair of shoes. I also did not bring my camera, so no pictures. Sad. But it was a memory I will not forget.

It was such a fun day! It took a while to get up there, about 4 hours or so. A little longer than most people, but we were a slower group. It starts off pretty level with a slight incline. Then it turns kind of rocky but still is a slight incline. The closer to the top the steeper the incline, but it was never like we had to climb, we didnt need any special gear. Although, I could have used a jacket at some point. It gets cold up there! I guess you can leave Florida but Florida mentality can never leave you...

Climbing down was almost harder than going up. Its not that easy climbing down rocks that move. But we made it. Because I was wearing Amanda's shoes, which were a little small, I now have blisters on my feet. But it was so worth it. The view at the top was spectacular. The panorama was really cool, although it was a little hazy. The crater was nothing like I expected it and there wasnt that much ice/snow at the top but it was really cool.

All in all, an amazing day! One thing checked off of the Armenia Bucket List. I can now say that I have climbed the highest mountain in Armenia... Pretty, pretty, pretty cool. Here are 2 pictures that I stole from another volunteer:




No comments: