27 January 2012

Thailand to Malaysia... Same Same but ending not beginning.

I have to hurry up and post about the rest of my trip before I get home, otherwise I will be really behind...

So from Laos, after the worst bus ride of the trip, we made it to Chiang Mai, Northern Thailand. It is a beautiful city, beautiful people, and really good food!  It is way different than southern Thailand because northern Thailand is all hilly and lusher.  Southern Thailand, at least the part that I saw, was beach and tropical. Both are beautiful and have so much to offer.  I loved Chiang Mai and would go back in a heart beat!

We didnt have a lot of time there because we were chasing the moon to make it to Koh Pah-Ngan for the Full Moon Party.  It wasnt something I was particularly interested in going but my travel partners were.  So with only a few days in Chiang Mai, we spent one day walking around at night, one day walking around during the day and taking a taxi out to see the temple on a hill for sunset.  Then the last day before our evening train ride, I took a cooking class and the others went ziplining.  I would have liked to do zip lining but I needed to learn Thai cooking and this was about the last time I would have the chance.

It was delicious and a lot of fun! Learned 6 dishes but got the recipes for about 18.  Full day course, including a tour through the market, and a grand total of 20 dollars!  Ridiculously cheap for the amount of food we had! It was a lot of fun and I made a few friends.  Some of them were at the beginning of their trip and were asking me questions about what I have done and seen.  It surprised myself how much I knew and how much I have done! Whew, I have seen a lot in this short time!

After the cooking and zipping, we met at the hostel, packed up and took the train to Bangkok.  Once there we figured out how to get a bus to the harbor, spent the night in the harbor, took the morning ferry to the island and took a truck to Haad Rin.  We jumped out of there, found a wonderful guesthouse behind a delicious restaurant and dropped our stuff off.  It was about 24 hours of traveling for a party... the most I have ever done!  But it was fun, a bit ridiculous but pretty fun.  I am not sure it was worth the 24 hours and maybe we hyped it up too much, but it was good.  I also went to bed too soon and apparently missed a lot but oh well.

The island of Koh Pah-Ngan gets a lot of crap because of the full moon party but it actually is a beautiful island if you go away from Haad Rin.  ze German convinced us to go on a death defying day of scootering around the island.  I was terrified but after about the first three mountains I went up and down over, it actually was fun.  We went around to the waterfalls and a few other beaches on the island.  It was a lot of fun and I really enjoyed myself.  I didnt die, didnt crash, and enjoyed the mountains on the way back. I am glad I did it and glad that ze German talked me into it.

From there, we went to Krabi town to get a ferry to Ton Sai, little sister to Hat Rai Lea.  Beautiful, beautiful! It is a place for rock climbers so it wasnt completely my scene, but we went kayaking and swimming and got really really tan! Hehe.  Its already fading, so dont get too mad at me.  We had some delicious food and ate at Mama's Fried Chicken more times than I want to say.  But the green curry for breakfast canceled out the chicken burgers we were eating at night.  It was such a laid back time and a really nice way to part ways with all of our friends.  ze German and Tobye left us to fly out of Bangkok and Parksie and I went south to Malaysia.  We took our last ferry/van/train to arrive in Kuala Lumpur at 6 in the morning!  Taking the train, I realized this was my last one for a while.  Whereas Parksie will continually galavanting the world for a while, I will be flying home in 5 days to America land. Wow!

About 161 days we have spent together and it all comes to an end tonight.

I am not so sure how much I will blog after this or until maybe my next adventure.  I still have some earlier adventures through Europe and Central America that I want to blog about so we will see...

See you when you see me! :)

No comments: