26 November 2011

Thanksgiving Abroad

I miss Thanksgiving and family.  Preparing with my mom for a week in advance, looking through recipes for hours before deciding on some of the same things.  Shopping and then cooking for hours and hours.  And then spending the whole day with family, playing cards, catching up, watching the parade, all of it. I miss it.  I dont know the next time I will be spending Thanksgiving with family.  I wish I could be there next year, but with plans to work abroad again, who knows.  I want it though.

With that being said, we did have a good Thanksgiving.  Parks and I met two Americans that we first encountered in Ko Phi Phi in a very random way.  We met them and they had a great idea to eat a whole chicken on the beach and spend the whole day talking about Thanksgiving with anyone who would listen.  So we bought some food and drinks and went to the beach and invited anyone who would walk by to come and join in our celebration.  By the end of the night, we had an Israeli, a few Germans (new ones), a few English ladies, and a few Thais.  It was awesome! Exactly what Thanksgiving is supposed to be, meeting new people and coming together under the idea of being thankful for what you have.

So I will write a few things that I am thankful for...
All of the beautiful people in my life, I am so thankful to have family and friends that are so incredibly loving and supportive.  From the friends I dont talk to anymore to the future friends and family members I have yet to meet, you all mean a lot to me and I hope you know how much you all mean to me. 

The ability to travel and experience this world, whatever small portion I am able to see along the way. 

The ability to make connections, meet people, interact with them, and make new friends.

And while this list isnt by any means complete, I think the most important thing is the people and connections I have in my life.

It might be a day or two late, but Happy Thanksgiving to everyone! I hope you had a wonderful day and that you realize what a special gift life is and celebrate all of the people in your life!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Miss you too! Love, Mom