07 October 2011

India Part 3... Palolem, GOA

Goa! It does not disappoint, lives up to your expectations, and is every bit what you see and hear about it. It doesnt exaggerate and it does not exceed expectations, just simply lives up to the tropical-esque paradise it claims to be.

Our first stop was in Palolem.  We are in Anjuna right now and for first impressions, I think we did Goa backwards.  I say this because Palolem was completely laid back and a genuine paradise.  Beautiful, BEAUTIFUL sand beaches, palm trees, bamboo huts, rocky edges, everything you want a beach to be and then some. Although it had to grow on me for a minute.

We arrived around 530 in the morning after a long and weird train ride.  Weird because the seat assignments did not make sense to us really.  People would get on with the same seat numbers on their tickets and did not seem to have a problem with it... odd.  But I guess because it was during the day, no one really minded? Who knows.   Anyhow, we arrived in Palolem early in the morning and met some pretty odd characters.  There was only one place that was open and we hadnt booked a room yet so we had a little bit of time to kill.  While sitting there we saw what a bar/party area looks like in the wee hours of the morning where you still have some of the leftover partiers from the night before... not a good sight. 

The first impression I had about Palolem was not a pleasant one but once we settled in to our guesthouse, took a short nap, and got back to the beach, my impression changed.  There were lots of different people from all over there.  They werent all coupled up so we actually were able to meet and chat with some others. It was kind of refreshing to be able to meet new and exciting people.

The beach was amazing, perfect water and the first time we have really been able to swim without fear of a rip tide or a strong current.  I feel a little guilty on posting just how much I havent been doing, I keep feeling as though I should be volunteering or working or something while I am traveling.  Something should be nagging me... homework, research, work projects, grants... something but honestly I think this is good for me.

Our last night in Palolem was great! We met so many people and had such a good time that I was really sad to have to say goodbye.  But thats the way it is when you travel, meet people for a short time and hope those quick bonds last for a while. 

1 comment:

Shirley said...

I am so happy to be a part of reading these post .... U r an amazing woman having an amazing time thank you for sharing with all of us !!! miss ya !