17 April 2011

Highs and Lows

Man, oh man. Peace Corps is such an up and down roller coaster of emotion sometimes. I dont know what it was but last week I was just in a bad mood. For about the last month I have had a string of visitors to my site, which has been awesome!

Starting with the Poetry Contest, which you can read about two posts back, I have played host to quite a few people. It has been wonderful to be able to share my village with so many different people. Some have come to experience the 'real' Armenia and check out the village life while others have come to help me plan/dream about the trip after COS (close of service) with others coming for a girls weekend.

I had a wonderful time, it really showed me how integrated I was in the community by having visitors come to my village. It made me realize how much I have learned about Armenia and Armenians and also how much I still dont know!

And then last week happened. When I talk to people about my service, the one thing I can say is that it is an adventure. And for some reason last week was not the good kind of adventure- I was completely homesick and down. I didnt want to quit but I definitely had that feeling of wanting to be anywhere but here. I dont know if it was the weather (rainy, cold, overcast, gross) or just my mood (sad, overwhelmed, stressed) but I was not having it. So I decided to go in to Yerevan for the day, mainly to take a shower (it had been about 2 weeks).

It is amazing what a shower can do for your morale. It was like I washed away all of the negativity and sadness I was feeling and was reborn a positive and happy person! The Saturday I went on a hike to an old fort by Talin. Apparently, it was part of the silk road. It was so much fun to walk to the fort and play around on the fort. Then I hung out with another volunteer and their host family, good times!

So, back to being on the high end of service and ready for this next week. It is crazy but after next week, I have my COS conference... where has the time gone?!?

No comments: